Used for precision measuring tasks, digital calipers allow for quick and accurate measurements of length, depth and step on both the inside and outside of an object.
At Cromwell, you can find an excellent choice of digital calipers from reliable brands, like Mitutoyo® and Oxford®.
For precise measurements, digital calipers deliver distance measurements with extreme accuracy. Measurements are displayed on an LCD screen, while minute adjustments can be made using a thumbwheel attached to the display body.
Digital calipers are extremely accurate and convenient. They allow for quick measurements to be taken thanks to the digital display, and these measurements can be converted at the touch of a button to both metric and imperial. They're ideal for comparative measurements, with the digital display allowing for the difference between two objects to be displayed as well as overall measurements.
Used in a wide range of industries, calipers are a popular piece of equipment in medicine, engineering, woodworking and any industry where accurate measurements are required. Used to measure the inside and outside of an object, as well as the depth and step measurements, calipers are ideal for precision tasks.
• Dial caliper - At the pricier end of the spectrum delivers absolute readings on the dial display
• Digital caliper - Extremely accurate and easy to read
• Vernier caliper - Manually operated with excellent shock resistance, doesn't feature an LCD display
• Environment - Ensure you purchase digital calipers in line with the setting in which they'll be used. Some calipers are designed with water-proofing features, and others are not.
• Accuracy - For precise tasks, a digital model is the best choice. The highest resolutions range between 0.005mm-0.001mm for professionals looking for extreme accuracy.
• Measurement range - removable so the end-user can customise.
• Cost - Dial and digital calipers are more expensive than the other kinds shown here, however, they're understandably not as shock-resistant as other verniers.
We want to make it easy for you, so here are some key terms that will help you understand the range and applications a little better.
What does IP67 certification mean?
The same as the ratings assigned to mobile phones and other wearable digital equipment, an IP rating highlights a mechanical casing's resistance to water and dust. This rating is published in the EU under EN 60529.
Let's break it down...
• IP - An acronym for Ingress Protection, sometimes known as International Protection, and is the name of the standard enforced by the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission).
• 6 - This first digit records the designated resistance to potentially harmful dust or dirt when exposed to the material for up to eight hours.
• 7 - This digit shows the water resistance rating where the calipers remain operational when submerged in up to 1m of water for up to half an hour.
Are digital calipers accurate?
Yes, these precision instruments are designed to take highly accurate measurements to within 0.01mm. They feature automatic conversion between standard and metric measurements, which avoids errors made in manual conversions.
What sized battery do digital calipers use?
As a small piece of equipment, digital calipers use a button battery type, usually an LR44 or SR44 size, these 1.5-volt batteries are widely available.
What's the difference between a vernier caliper and a digital caliper?
The most significant difference between these types of caliper is that vernier calipers are manual and feature no digital display, while digital calipers have an LCD display that projects accurate measurements. Measurements on vernier calipers are read directly from the increments on the body of the tool, and they're a cheaper alternative to digital calipers.
Are all digital calipers the same?
All calipers are extremely accurate to within 0.01mm, which, for most applications is extremely precise. However, if you need higher precision measurements, then there are digital calipers available that feature a higher resolution for increased accuracy.