Microwaves or microwave ovens to use their full moniker, are a fast and convenient way to heat up food. They are a staple in domestic households and even in office kitchens, allowing you to cook up food, fast. Cromwell stock a range of microwaves from brands like Montpellier so you can be assued of quality product at affordable prices.
Microwave ovens are used to cook food. They work by producing microwaves, injecting themselves into the food which causes the water molecules inside to vibrate heating it up. These electromagnetic waves are invisible to the human eye. Microwave ovens come in various types, such as countertop and inbuilt models but all function similarly.
Microwaves are a fast and easy way to heat up food for consumption, they can also perform other operations like defrosting, which speeds up the overall preparation time, and allows for faster cooking times than regular ovens. This speed factor makes them ideal for use in homes and offices where time to prepare food and eat may be a factor.
Microwaves contain a device called a magnetron which channels electrical energy from a power outlet to a heated filament. This process creates a flow of electrons releasing microwaves into the cooking chamber through an antenna. The microwaves bounce around the chamber releasing radiation that cooks the food through from the outside inwards.
• Countertop - When you think of microwave ovens, this is usually the first type that springs to mind. They're freestanding which means that they will need space on the kitchen counter to sit, but they are easy to set up and operate. They come in a range of wattages, and many have multiple functions.
• Inbuilt - These models are typically built into kitchen spaces such as walling or cabinets, they often come with high end features and are usually found in premium domestic kitchens.
• Convection - These types of microwaves add convection cooking to their CV as was as standard microwave oven functionality. It features an oven-like heating element with a fan that allows for the circulation of heat, allowing the unit to bake and roast like a conventional oven.
• Space - This is particularly important if you have limited counter top space in your kitchen.
• Wattage - The higher the wattage the quicker cooking times will be.
• Functionality - Microwaves these days come with a lot of pre-set functions like defrost and even setting for cooking certain foods like jacket potatoes.
Are microwaves dangerous?
In short yes, microwaves produce radiation that can cause serious harm to soft tissue in the body such as the eyes and testes. Also ensure that metals are not placed in a microwave (this can include metallic compounds used in paints and glazes) as it can cause arcing, leading to permanent damage within the microwave.
Are microwaves energy efficient?
Yes, microwaves are the most energy efficient cooking appliance, smaller wattages 600W-800W are the most efficient but even wattages of 900 + are more efficient than a hob or traditional oven, as they only heat the food itself.