Primarily used in the plumbing, construction and marine industries, anti-corrosion tapes are designed to protect metals from wearing away as rapidly as they otherwise would if left unprotected.
Here at Cromwell, we offer a wide range of anti-corrosion tapes from our trusted, exclusive brand Avon as well as national brands 3M and Denso.
Anti-corrosion tapes are specially designed tapes used to protect metal surfaces from corrosion and rust.
They create a barrier that prevents moisture, chemicals, and other corrosive elements from reaching the metal, thereby extending its lifespan and maintaining its structural integrity.
Anti-corrosion tapes are widely used in industries such as oil and gas, marine, pipeline, and construction.
Whilst anti-corrosion tapes have the same purpose, there are several types of anti-corrosion tapes available, each of which possess key attributes. To help you to find the best one for your needs, we've broken down each type to highlight the key features of each.
• Polyethylene (PE) tape - PE tapes are made from polyethylene material and are widely used for corrosion protection. They have excellent resistance to moisture, chemicals, and UV radiation. PE tapes are often used for pipeline coatings, underground applications, and in marine environments.
• Polypropylene (PP) tape - PP tapes are made from polypropylene material and offer good resistance to corrosion, moisture, and chemicals. They are commonly used for applications such as pipe wrapping, joint protection, and corrosion prevention in various industries.
• Polyvinyl chloride tape - PVC tapes are made from polyvinyl chloride and provide excellent resistance to moisture, acids, alkalis, and UV radiation. They are often used in applications where electrical insulation and corrosion protection are required.
• Bituminous tape - Bituminous tapes, also known as asphalt tapes, are made from bitumen and a polymer backing. They offer good resistance to water, moisture, and various chemicals. Bituminous tapes are commonly used in construction applications, such as for corrosion protection of metal structures and pipelines.
When shopping for anti-corrosion tapes, it is important to consider the following factors. In doing so, you can select the most suitable anti-corrosion tape for your specific needs, ensuring maximum protection of your component against corrosion.
• Surface preparation - Proper surface preparation is essential for the effectiveness of anti-corrosion tapes. The surface should be cleaned, dried, and free from rust, grease, or contaminants before tape application. Some tapes require specific surface conditions for optimal adhesion and performance.
• Environmental conditions - Consider the temperature range, humidity, exposure to UV radiation, and other environmental factors the tape will be subjected to. Ensure that the chosen tape is suitable for the specific conditions.
• Compatibility - Ensure that the tape is compatible with the metal surface or any existing coatings. Some tapes may not adhere well to certain metals or coatings, leading to adhesion failure or compromised protection.
• Application method - Consider the ease of application of the tape. Some tapes may require heat or pressure for proper adhesion, while others can be applied manually without any additional tools or equipment.
• Longevity and durability - Evaluate the expected lifespan and durability of the tape in relation to the desired corrosion protection requirements. Some tapes offer long-term protection, while others are designed for temporary or short-term use.
• Width and length - Choose the appropriate width and length of the tape based on the size of the area that needs to be protected and the desired overlap for effective coverage.
• Health and safety - Consider factors such as non-toxicity, hypoallergenic properties, or compliance with safety standards, especially if the tape will be used in environments where human contact is likely.
Is petrolatum tape the same as anti-corrosion tape?
Petrolatum tape is a specific type of anti-corrosion tape, which is largely manufactured by Denso. Denso tapes are impregnated with petrolatum gel which provides long term corrosion protection on steel components such as pipes, valves and large steel joints or dowels in construction.